Sciathlon Logo

Sciathlon Logo

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Hands-on science for everyone



Over the last ten years, while working on my bachelor’s degree and now my PhD in physics, I have come to view the world through the lens of science.  I would not have ventured down this enlightening and exciting journey had the seeds of scientific curiosity not been planted early in my childhood.  I strongly believe the scientific method is the best tool we have for understanding the world that we occupy, and how to make it better for all of its inhabitants.  A well-educated society is critical for solving the great problems of our time.   Unfortunately, our country is struggling to create and promote scientific literacy.  Too often I hear that science and math are boring, or that “I’m just not a science person.”  I’m not advocating that everyone get a PhD in physics.  But I do believe everyone should be able to think like a scientist – question freely, challenge arguments from authority, and re-evaluate beliefs based on evidence.  Everyone should have a chance to build an experiment with their own hands, confront their assumptions, and come out on the other side having learned something and created something new. 
 
Thinking like a scientist doesn’t mean memorizing the atomic mass of germanium, reciting pi to 100 digits, or solving complex equations in your head.  Being a scientist doesn’t require pocket protectors or taped-together glasses.  Would you believe that I never even wear a white lab coat?  Sure, you’ll see all of these things in a lab, but that’s just because scientists are just as diverse as the rest of the world.  Anyone can be a scientist.  And everyone deserves the chance to discover through science. 

As a kid I loved creating things that would maybe considered more artsy than science-y.  I’ve since learned that science too can be an art.  Putting together an attractive presentation or poster can make all the difference in keeping your audience’s attention.  Making eye-catching computer animations can help explain what’s happening in my experiments – things that are usually too small to see or photograph.  Art and science are really inseparable.   

Growing up, I had so many opportunities to “create” at the intersection of art and science:  here you can see a diorama of the Mojave desert, an F-15 fighter jet made of K’NEX, and my attempt at an x-ray machine (this one lets you see all the organs, in color).
The Mojave Desert, an F-15, and my organs (not shown actual size)

Now the contraptions I create are a bit more complicated, sure.  But I still just feel like a kid in the lab, who gets to go play with a set of toys, trying to figure out what makes ‘em go.
Me with the microscope that I built.  It can "see" magnetism!

Let’s help more young kids get their hands dirty.  The first project I am highlighting on my donor page hits very close to home.  Not only is it right here in Columbus, OH, but the students will get to explore simple machines with K’NEX (which have a special place in my heart), and experiment with magnetism (something I do everyday in the lab!).  I love the hands on approach Ms. Sunnucks is taking with her students at Columbus Bilingual Academy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment